Monday, April 11, 2011

For the Players

This one is for the kids. One thing that irritates a coach more than anything is, "can I play, can I pitch, what inning are we in, how many outs, whats the score, who's winning". First of all, PAY ATTENTION to the game. If you know the inning, the score, the outs, then you may have a better opportunity to play. Please quit asking to get in the game. The best way to ask to play is to perform at practice. Show that you want it!!! We had a game last week. I must say that we did lose however it wasn't the loss that bothered me. It was the attention to the game that was horrible. The entire game we got plenty of, "can I plays". We finally made some changes. When we come back in from the field we were missing a couple of players. The player up to bat was evidently at the concession stand, that cost us an out, so after specifically telling each player when they were batting we go back into the field. Just before the pitch I look out and we have NO right fielder. I look in the dugout and ask who is suppose to be in right field. "I am coach", I reply, "then what the heck are you doing in the dugout!!!!!!!" Then I realize that the reason we are lacking attention in this game. We actually had 2 players in the dugout listening to there ipods during the game. As you can tell, very frustrating as a coach. These are teenagers. Whats the problem? No wonder we aren't winning. These kids have no drive to push themselves or others to be good. All I or any coach ask is that if you want to play this game, then be involved in whats going on, if you want to start, then be involved in the game being played. I assure you that you can learn more about this game from being observant during a game that you can in most practices. This game is not all about catching and hitting. I love this game for the strategy behind it. To a coach it's a lot like a chess match. The players are your pieces. As you can imagine it is very hard to win a chess match with a bunch a pawns. Your really need the King, Queen, Bishops, Castles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment