With all my coaching experience, nothing prepares you to handle the many different personalities of parents. As with most coaches I will usually begin my season with a meeting involving both the parents and the players. During this meeting we go over the obvious introductions and then we get to the particulars that the parents never like to hear. I hand out 2 forms, my "player expectations" and "parent expectations". I do this so that the parents as well as the players know exactly what I expect from them. Below I have listed a few of these expectations:
PLAYER EXPECTATIONS
1. Have Fun - Baseball is a great game if your having fun.
2. Win and Lose with class - Be respectful on and off the field, win or lose.
3. Give 100% - not only in games but also in practice "practice makes permanent"
4. Respect the umpire - Just like you make errors, so do the umpires. "an umpire will NOT cause you to lose a game".
PARENT EXPECTATIONS
1. Enjoy watching your kids - The time will come when they will no longer be playing.
2. Win and Lose with class - Be respectful on and off the field, win or lose.
3. Respect the umpire - Just like your child makes errors, so do the umpires. "an umpire will NOT cause you to lose a game".
4. Respect the coaches - They are very underpaid as it is. Most of them are volunteers. Appreciate the fact they are willing to spend the time with your child.
5. Don't put your child in an uncomfortable situation - Please allow your child to listen to the coaches. Don't put your child in a position that he or she has to chose between listening to the coach or the parent.
6. Coaches can be ejected due to the behavior of the parents.
7. The coaches way may not be the right way but it is his or her way - allow the coach to coach his or her team as they see fit.
As you can see, the parent expectations is much longer than the player expectations. This is because the parents are much harder to manage than the players. In most cases during the meeting the parents are nodding there heads as if they were agreeing with every expectation. They will actually come to me after the meeting tell me how happy they are that I have addressed these issues. Yet, when it comes to game time, they will be the first ones to break one of the expectations. How do I handle it? You ask. I just redistribute the expectations form to the particular parent.
To sum up. Parents, sit back, get some peanuts, a coke, and enjoy the game the way it is suppose to be enjoyed. Stay out of the coaching and be a parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment