Friday, March 18, 2011

This is NOT Little League anymore!!!!!

At a game the other day and the team that I am helping coach loses. So after the game a parent approaches the coaches and tells us that her son made those errors because we, the coaches, were not talking him through every play. I wanted to say, "THIS IS NOT LITTLE LEAGUE ANYMORE". We are talking about middle schoolers. Parents, by now your child should know that if he catches the ball at 3rd base and there are runners on 1st and 2nd all he has to do is touch 3rd to get the out. Evidently not, we as coaches are responsible for holding your child's hand through each and every play. Forget the fact that we practice 5 days a week and that a small play like this is something I was teaching t-ballers. It is the responsibility of the player to ask themselves, "what am I gonna do if I get the ball", before it comes to them. There is not enough time between pitches to ask all 9 players each and every pitch. Your child may be the fastest and have the strongest arm, however if they don't know the situational part of the game, they have no business being on the field. Yes the coach is responsible for teaching these kids what to do in certain situations. Please get it through your head that the coach is not completely at fault when your son makes a mental error. Your son isn't as perfect as you think he his.

No comments:

Post a Comment